I am now obese!!
I know...I know...you are all asking...why is that good??
Because according to the chart on the Dr's office wall on Friday when I was there I was "extremely obese"!!
How much more weight do I need to lose to be "normal"? I need to lose another 73 lbs to be at the high end of normal and 100 to be at the low end of normal.
Talk about having the wind taken out from under your sails...37 lbs down and you think you are doing well...until you go to the Dr's.
Seriously though...who makes these charts?? I am 6 foot 2!! I know I shouldn't weigh 300 lbs, but 140 lbs??? Come on!
Really...it was a bad experience right from the beginning. I had the stomach bug BAD. On top of the side effects from the walk it wasn't good. I knew I was starting to get dehydrated so I made an appointment to just get checked out.
Dr. Cuyler, seriously...the best Dr ever...was booked for the afternoon. So I took an appointment with Dr. Campbell (see link above for his picture). This was my first mistake.
I don't like male Dr's and he wasn't any different. On top of "thanking me" for coming in because now he was going to get the stomach bug he did nothing other then ask me questions like "have you been out of the country" and push on my stomach a couple of times.
At one point in his questions he asked, "did you have a fever?"
"Yes."
"What was it?"
"I don't know, I never took my temperature."
"Well, then how do you know you had a fever?"
"I know these things...I am a mom."
"You don't know these things."
Nice.
The worst best side manner ever.
So this guy was a total prick to me and THEN takes my blood pressure. 132 over 92. He complains that it is high...so what does he do...goes and check my weight and starts to get on me for it. I cut him off and say "look what it was the last time I was here."
He looks and responds something about it being "okay."
Honestly, I was crushed. I have lost 37 lbs. Dr. Cuyler would have been jumping for joy (literally) at my accomplishments. She would have been thrilled.
That is why I never go to the Dr. Between pricks like him and those darn charts on the walls it is just depressing. I have busted my butt to lose what I have. It hasn't been easy...I know I have a long way to go...but 73 lbs? I would be a bean pole! I would love to lose another 40. That is my goal.
I know one thing...I won't be going back to that Dr. ever again. :)
Monday, May 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
They do NOT account for height!!! Dude, I weigh 170 lbs and am 6 feet, and there is no flipping way I'm obese!
You rock, you did (and are doing) a great job with the weight. Don't let cruddy doctors bum you out. :)
You are NOT obese! You look amazing and all of your efforts have certainly been paying off! Congratulations on 37! Go Super K!
Whatever!!! Everyone needs a little junk in the trunk. By those standards I am "obese" too and I can run 4.5 miles in 31 minutes. Just focus on being healthy and not so much on the metrics.
Don't worry about those charts! You are doing great! Keep up the good work. Don't let that doctor get you down.
Keep your chin up girl - you look wonderful and 37 lbs. is a lot!
I've always heard that it's 100 lbs. for 5 feet and then 5 lbs. for every inch over that. So 6'2" would be 170.
According to that I need to lose somewhere around 50.
Post a Comment