Tuesday, March 11, 2008

.laugh.

.laugh.

Can someone please tell me how it is possible that my "baby" is 5 years old already?

I remember the day like it was yesterday. His birth story still seems so fresh in my mind.

I always knew I wanted two kids in two years, and the second they put Connor on my chest, just like with CJ, I instantly loved him more then I ever imagined I could love anything in the world.

Even with all of the love, I had no idea what the next few years would be like that is for sure. For those who have kids close together I am sure you understand. I often joked to people that from the day I brought Connor home to the day he turned 4 my life was a constant tornado. As his mother I loved him so much, but Connor never made anything easy. Day after day he challenged me. He made me question my ability to be a mother and on many days I went to bed at night crying, wondering how I would make it through the next few days, weeks, months and even years.

Everyone would always tell me "It will get easier." I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

And waited.

At today, on his fifth birthday, I am so glad I waited. Through all of the tears, together Chris and I have a little boy that has blossomed into so much more then we ever thought he would have.

His determination has made him into a goal scorer.

His stubbornness has made him into one of the smartest 5 year olds out there.

His heart has made him into a loving and caring son, friend, and brother.

His vision and desire to always figure out how things work has made him into an artist and a mechanic.

In my 2007 book with the kids pictures in it there is a page with 2 of Connor's pictures on it that says this -

"Maybe good things come to those who wait, but the best things come to those who seize the moment and make it their own."

Maybe that was it. While I sat there waiting for things to get "easier", Connor decided to seize the moment and make it his own.

He sure did.

Happy 5th Birthday my sweet boy!!! I love you more than you will ever know!!

No comments: