There is never a dull moment in our house. Ever.
I sort have grown to expect calls like I received tonight in regards to Connor, but when CJ is involved they surprise you a bit.
That is not to say that Connor is all problems or that CJ is a complete angel, but usually when it comes to "problems" at school, they usually involve Connor.
This one tonight REALLY surprised Chris and I because of the nature of the problem.
We were outside finishing up the mulch and when we came in their was a message on the machine from a mother of a little girl in CJ's class.
She said that her "sweet little girl" was "taller" and "heavier" then the other kids in the class. (She must not know who CJ is because he fits two of those traits really well as well and it certainly isn't the "sweet little girl" one. :)
Anyway, this mother advised me that her daughter has been coming home saying CJ is calling her "fat".
Want to know the first thing that came to my mind? What is her body mass index?? Is she extremely obese or just obese? Just kidding...I can't get those numbers out of my head.
Anyway, so she goes on to advise me that she "...doesn't allow her kids to do that to other kids."
Yes, you guessed it. Every night at dinner we go around the table and encourage and practice the best names to call your friends at school.
Are you kidding me? Thank GOD she doesn't allow her kids to call other kids names...she has to be the FIRST one to do that ever!
I laughed so hard at the message I actually had to forward it to Shannon to have her listen to it.
Anyway, I had Chris listen to it and then we went and put CJ to bed and talked to him about it. You know what...we are the Williams Family. We are all fat. Heck, even the dog is fat. I joke about it here a lot, but you know what, each one of us is sensitive about our weight, so when she called about this Chris and I both couldn't imagine him doing this because we talk about this issue all of the time. I have never heard CJ call anyone fat. Ever.
So we asked him about name calling to anyone. He said no he didn't do it. We asked him about Barbara. He said he doesn't talk to her but she sits in his group. We asked him if he called her names. No. We asked him if he called her fat, he QUICKLY and sternly said No. We asked him if he said anything to her, he told us the only thing he has said to her is that he likes her new glasses.
As my parents used to do to me we and I swore I would never do this with my kids, I used the famous, "if you are lying you will get in more trouble then if you just tell us the truth."
I am not lying Mom. I have not said anything. The completely puzzled look on his face during the whole conversation said a lot too. Lying is one thing, but adding the puzzled look would be an amazing talent this young if he really was lying about the whole thing.
So...I don't THINK he did it. Sure, I could be wrong. I hope I am not. If I am, CJ will learn a very important lesson.
Then the mother goes on to say that if CJ doesn't stop she is going to go to the principal or the teacher.
It was like kids on a playground. "If you don't stop I am going to tell on you."
I don't get it...why NOT go to the teacher? It is her classroom. Why go to the other parent, call your own kid "heavy" and threaten them if their kid doesn't stop that you are going to "tell on them" to the principal?
I tried calling her back right after I got her message, she didn't answer.
I already wrote the letter to CJ's teacher advising her of what happened and asked that she get involved. If CJ is lying, I want to know. We don't encourage name calling here in our house either, and if CJ is calling someone fat I want to know about it. I really think CJ is telling us the truth...maybe he isn't...maybe we will never know...I just can't imagine a parent handling this the way she did.
All I keep thinking about is what I used to say when I was CJ's age and someone called me a name.
"Sticks and stones will break my bones but names will never hurt me."
My parents were not calling other parents threatening them. They probably were not even responding to me telling them that someone was calling me a name. They were teaching me to be strong, to have confidence that what they were calling me wasn't true, to ignore the names and most importantly to fight my own battles.
This in my opinion is another example of my generation raising a future generation of wimpy kids.
Anyway, I will keep you posted...
Your favorite obese mother, wife, photographer and friend.
PS. If you don't like a fat mother, wife, photographer, and friend...go take a hike. :)

3 comments:
wow - amazing! YOu better warn her not to get the new Wii game about fitness either, because I saw an article in the paper about parents who want an apology from Wii because the program told her kid she was fat based on her BMI - and SHE'S NOT FAT according to the parents!
You know, with all the bullying issues being addressed these days I think the mother thought she was probably nipping things in the bud, but GEEZ, calling another parent and leaving a message instead of saying "could I speak to you about an issue we may be having" is a bit much to say the least.
I had something similar happen when Lauren was in the first grade. A mom called and was very hateful to me because Lauren called her daughter a loser. I asked Lauren if she did it and Lauren said yes. I asked her if she knew what loser meant and of course she said no. She had heard another kid call someone that at school and decided to repeat it. We did exactly what you did - we talked to Lauren and explained that we don't call other people names and we made her apologize to the other kid. Then the mom says, "Well, I didn't want to get Lauren in trouble." I was wondering - Why did she call?
Anyway, some parents are just crazy! I don't call other parents when my kids come home and tell me something like that happened. Normal parents don't. They deal with it like you mentioned. In CJ's case - the kid probably just misunderstood what he said. Hang in there!
Post a Comment