Friday, September 5, 2008

BIG THINGS.

Happy 4th Birthday Connor!

I spent the last 24 hours (or in some cases days) consoling people I know sending their child to Kindergarten for the first time.

"It will be okay."

"The Kindergarten teachers are wonderful!"

"*insert name* is so ready."

But when I woke up at 5:15 am this morning it hit me like a ton of bricks. While I spent the last couple of days trying to make everyone feel good about their child starting Kindergarten, somehow in my mind I don't think it REALLY settled in that my "baby", my last, would be put on the bus and really would be in someone else's hands the majority of the day for the rest of his life.

Catching Rain Drops.

I know, Connor is different. He is SO ready. I am not that type of mother that would even consider keeping him home because "I" wasn't ready...it isn't even a thought. Selfishly, I am looking forward to being able to refocus a bit at work, work from 8:30-4:00 without having to take him to 2 different preschools, or make him lunch, or worry about where his is outside. The truth of the matter is that he was ready LAST year so I am more concerned about him being challenged this year, then I am about anything else.

Push...

But it doesn't matter that Connor is ready. It doesn't matter that he is 4 foot 6 and 100 lbs (which makes him about a foot taller then his peers). It doesn't matter that he is smarter then I am in so many ways.

He is still my baby. Just over 5 years ago I gave birth to him and he looked like he did in the first picture. Over the last 5 years raising him I have laughed, cried and loved him all at the same time. I did everything I could educationally, emotionally and socially to prepare him for this day. In my heart I know I did what I should because he IS ready. You all know that the past 5 years has not been easy with Connor, In fact there were some days that were so hard that I didn't know if I would get to the next day. We DID.

Connor at 1

Through those tears and laughter Chris and I gave Connor the wings to be ready for today. He is ready to take off. I need to give him that kiss, that little push, and send his on his next journey through life.

Believe me, I am crying writing this post and I am sure I will be crying when that bus pulls up this morning.

Over the last 5 years Connor gave us all a few more gray hairs, many proud moments, may laughs, and a great lesson in exactly how strong unconditional love really is. I am happy knowing we did our job. I am happy knowing how excited and ready he is for the next stage of his journey.

Letting go this first time is never easy.

Chris and I know that this next journey will be filled with much of what the last 5 years have been filled with. We will just share the gray hairs with others. :)

I can tell you one thing very confidently...Connor will do BIG things. As hard letting go is, I can't wait to see him take off on this journey that is going to lead him to these BIG things.

We love you Connor! It is finally YOUR time to get on that bus!

Don't forget to wave!

See, this Mater CAN move!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Oh great day! Now I'm all teary! Good luck Connor on your first day of Kindergarten.

Jodi said...

Beautifully written Kristin! You brought tears to my eyes. How can this all be? Yeah Connor, I hope your first day was fantastic!