- I am a registered Republican.
- I voted for George W. Bush (GWB)...not once, but twice.
- My vote for GWB doesn't really "count" here in NY anyway because we go Democratic and are not even close to going the other way.
- If GWB was running again, I would NOT vote for him.
- I fell in love with Obama first at the Democratic convention 4 years ago after he made his "famous" speech. I even printed it out. I disagreed with some of what he said in that speech, but for once...someone REAL.
- I fell in love with him even more on Oprah (yes, sad, but I am sure I am not alone).
- I think that what Obama has done being the first African American presidential nomine is just amazing and will go down in history as being a changing moment for this country.
- I watched the Democratic Convention on vacation (remember, I am a Republican) and finished watching Obama speak that night and thought "this guy is going to win." and at that moment said to myself, "I think I am going to vote for him, I want to see who McCain picks as his VP, watch that convention and make a decision at that point."
- On vacation Chris, the boys and I were sitting in Salsarita's having lunch when the headlines came on. John McCain picked Sarah Palin as his VP running mate. We both had the same response, "who?". Chris and I saw the AK next to her name and thought she was from Arkansas...Alaska for some reason made it all worse.
- Enter the Republican Convention. I watched all week here and there and just couldn't get into it...until last night. I thought Huckabee was amazing, I thought Rudy Giuliani was good, and I thought Sarah Palin speech was one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.
Anyway...as I listened to Sarah Palin last night address the issues, I laughed, I found tears in my eyes at times and I was just so inspired by her story and how she handed the tough issues. As she went through her issues one by one it reminded me why I am a Republican. I am honored my children and I live in a time that in one year are seeing the first African American and a women on tickets. In November history will be made one way or the other with the outcome of the election.
I have a personal thing with women doing amazing things...I have seen the "little boys club" first hand. I am part of probably 10% of my field and company being women. Sarah Palin is young, she isn't afraid of the media and what they have done to her over the last 5 days. She isn't afriad to stand up there in front of America and say "me and my family have issues just like EVERY other American family does". She isn't going to let the "little boys club" walk all over her.
For 5 days I was sort of worried about what would happen if McCain could no longer hold office if he won with this woman that no one have ever heard of.
I am no longer worried.
Sarah Palin is going to change the world whether she is VP or not...in so many ways she already has.

20 comments:
Kristin - I have to say - I was exactly where you were with this election. But, I was very pleased with McCain's selection - just bc I really admire and relate well to strong females. But - I was concerned over the bad press Sarah was getting.
Have to say - LOVED her speech last night. I think she did an outstanding job! I was so pleased!
I still want to see the debates - see where they really stand on the issues and how well they can articulate their stance.
But - I was very impressed last night.
p.s Rudy's line - goes down in the record book as one of the best line's EVER!
This is politics... and you are right - she is no different than any other man up there in politics... they use whoever, including their family for the interest of themselves and their campaign... to me it is a shame that a woman at her age could not take the time right now when her family needs her, and perhaps run for this kind of office that requires obviously alot of time and attention at a time when it is better for her family. For a conservative republican who should stand for family values, putting your family second doesn't resonate well with me. She got the response that the republican party obviously staged very well... but her words resonate empty when her actions speak volumes. I'm not proud that she is a woman.. wish she was different than the men.
Christy - I thought you would love her too!
Linda - This is just my opinion, but I think she is taking this step because she knows that the country needs someone like her NOW. :) She is governor now,she was mayor before (both require more then the 9-5 job). She has dedicated her life to her country already...that is WHO she is. Her family is probably used to that lifestyle now and if she gets the VP job she will just do it in a "bigger" way.
I know you may not agree (and that is okay. :)), but I don't necessary think that just because she works, and that job happens to be VP of the US, means that she is putting her family second. For some being a stay at home mom is the only what to mother children the right way, for others they are better mothers because they work. I work AND my kids come first. People can talk bad about me all they want...and they can talk bad about Palin all they want, but for ME my kids are better off with me working and getting the structure, education, etc from daycare, preschools and school. If realizing that and admitting that makes me a bad mother to those who judge me, fine. I know me working is the BEST thing for MY kids and maybe Sarah Palin does as well.
Just my two cents. :)
kristin - I'm not a stay at home mother and I have 5 kids.. so you're preaching to the choir. You and I aren't running for the second, possibly first (if anything happened to McCain) most important office in this country. And at a time when your family really needs you. I said the same thing when Edwards was running at the time when they found out his wife had cancer... there's a time and a place... AND I am sure if one of your boys NEEDED you like her 5 mo old or pregnant teenager who is being thrown into the media FULLSPEED...you would be there for them. That said, you can like her all you want. That's the great thing - we can all have our own opinion.
Linda - I misunderstood your first comments. I agree with you, based on what is going on with her family it might not be the best time for this to happen, but I am not sure we can make that decision, nor do I think the media can. Her and her husband are the only ones that can make it and they are the ones who will have to deal with the consequences with their kids, etc, with whatever happens.
I guess I just love seeing women "taking the bull by it's horns", especially mothers that choose to work. As you can see from my past comments, this whole topic just KILLS me. Society time and time again wants to say I don't put my kids first, that want to label me as a bad mother because I work...and I am sorry...I have seen a TON of kids that would be better of if their parents worked and they had structure, additional education and socialization that they would get being in daycare, preschool, etc (even part time!). I am always amazed at how the mothers here in my own district treat mothers who work (and are fat! I get it for both)...it makes me sick.
I guess my point to my comments was that Obama has OPENLY admitted he has not been home for his kids and his MIL has stepped up to the plate. No one ever questions him because he is a MAN. Palin has gotten ripped to shreds the last couple of days for taking the role that she has. I don't think it matters who anyone agrees with more politically...we have a long way to go to put women on an even ground with the "little boys club" that still is alive and well in 2008.
I agree with you there - I've never understood that debate between mothers. Honestly everyone has to do what works for their family, and there are people I know where the kids are better off with the dad staying home and mom working or whatever... I do not have a problem with woman being able to whatever they want. I have a problem with selfish politicians. It sounds like she is very bright and I'm sure she has alot to offer, and does do a good job standing up tall between all the men. I don't even have a real problem with people with kids running for these positions, because I'm sure there all alot of benefits that come to those kids as well... to me this is totally about timing and priorities! Sorry I tend to run my mouth.
Ha! I love to talk about these issues with people...I know you agree with a lot of what I say because you work as well. There are a TON of mothers out there that work AND are good mothers. And tere are a ton of fathers that can stay home and be good Dad's too! :) Brian could stay home with your kids (and has), Chris could stay home with my boys(and has), and my friend Christy's husband stays home with their kids and does a great job as well. Each family is different!
Keep talking! :)
Oh.my.gosh, the first three quarters of your post frightened me...lol! I agree about Palin. LOVE her. Of course, there has never been an Obama alternative for me. Now, are you surprised to hear that or what?! :)
Jessica - Welcome to the dark side! lol! :) I am voting for McCain...even though it REALLY does not matter her in NY. :)
Ohio is a swing state... so I am going to try to play a big part in "swinging" it.. big time!
Obama?? REALLY you liked him?? :)
Jessica - You didn't like him? LOL!! I liked HIM, but I don't agree with all of his policies. :)
I.do.not.like.him.at.ALL. I would have voted Republican this time around if only to vote against him. lol!
No WAY! Actually I think he is a very good speaker...I really enjoyed listening to him on Oprah and I thought he was interesting at his convention. I think it is great to see some "normal" people with "normal" stories running for office...maybe that is some of it. I was never sold on McCain...until Palin spoke last night. She got me all excited to vote with my party!
you are talking about this man... right?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/anthem.asp
Granted, that is just one small reasons amongst many.
I hear you...there are many reasons NOT to like him, I just didn't really like EITHER of them. Now that McCain picked Sarah Palin he has my vote. Yes, his pick as VP got him my vote. :)
Ok, I tried to resist...but I can't. I don't know why everyone is getting all fired up over Palin, you don't vote for the VP, you vote for the president and the one who will do the best job.
I'm a woman (with kids) and she annoys me. She's as big a flip-flopper as Romney and I'm from Massachusetts, I know of what I speak.
Marlene - I will vote for McCain because I am a Republican not because of Sarah Palin. I just wasn't too excited about McCain and she got me energized. Really, I think you HAVE to look at the VP, especially when it comes to him. He isn't in the best of health so if he is president, he has to have someone that can fill in his shoes if they have to. I think she can. It is hard, because my views line with the Republican party for the most part, but I didn't "love" all parts of McCain. I liked Obama, but I don't agree with too many views of his party. So...when it comes right down to it I have to put the popularity contest aside and vote for the views and not the personally of the candidate.
As far as Sarah Palin, I think she energized the party. I watched the national news tonight and someone else said the same thing. They were not sold on McCain, but after listening to her last night they were.
As far as her being a woman and a Mom, I think if you are a democrat you are a democrat and the fact that she is a woman and a mom and you are a woman and a mom, isn't going to change your vote. Ask Linda, my SIL. :) You don't vote for someone based on sex and if they have kids...but as a Republican and as a working mom who is sick of people thinking I am less of a mom because I work...I LOVED her message. I love how she stood up to to the media and her critics. I admire her strength. And I agree with Guiliani...if she was a MAN no one would have said anything about any of that crap. :)
Kristin,
I only vote one way and that is the way of the environment. If McCain was the guy who was going to make changes to the way things are done now in that regard, then he would get my vote...but Obama's voting record on the issues I care about are getting him my vote. It may sound silly in light of the economy and health care, but it is something I am VERY passionate about.
I did want to ask you, if you wouldn't vote for Bush again how 'come you are voting for McCain who pretty much voted the same as Bush on most issues? Not being snarky...seriously, I'm just asking :)
I mean, the VP doesn't really make sweeping change...just look at Cheney ;)
Who is the last poster?
I vote for McCain because if you take one of those tests on who you should vote for based on your beliefs, McCain wins over Obama hands down everytime I take it. I don't agree with either of them 100%, but side more with McCain then Obama. As far as your GWB question...don't believe everything that Obama says...the 90% line was a good one, but if you don't honestly see the difference between McCain and Bush then you have not been watching the election. A lot of Republicans don't like McCain because he isn't Republican enough. McCain puts his country before his party and I think his record and life story shows that. I may not agree with everything he does and says, but based on his overall beliefs he is the best candidate for ME to vote for.
Interesting debate here...
I would like to pose this question to Linda (I am not attacking anyone here, so please don't take this the wrong way)... How do you feel about the women in our air forces who are deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan and are forced to leave their children stateside?? Do you think they are bad moms for choosing to serve their country? I think most of us would hail them as heroes (I know I do).
I am incensed that Sarah is being subjected to these accusations. I have wondered what NOW is thinking of what's being said??? Seems like they are caught between a rock and a hard place. Do they jump to the defense of a woman's right work work and be successful in her profession? Or, do they go to the "dark side" and support a Republican???
Just my 2 cents.
Post a Comment