Tuesday, June 10, 2008

And the Dr. says....

CJ has athletes foot on his feet and severe dry skin on his hands. I am sorry, but if you see his hands right now it appears he has more then just "severe dry skin".

The nurse practitioner (who is probably right) says he thinks he is having a reaction to something he is coming into contact with which is causing his skin to peal which he is then picking which is then causing all of the dry skin in the area that puts him into this cycle of pick...pick...bleed...pick.

When I dropped him off at school I asked his teacher about it and she had not noticed it. She did say that this would explain why he all of a sudden doesn't want to write.

They did give us a prescription for a steroid creme, but I think I am going to get another opinion on this. His hands are a mess and honestly, my gut is that this is more then just dry skin. I hope I am wrong. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mother's instinct - I agree with you that it seems more like a nervous picking or habit that is forming.. is theere anything bothering CJ these days? About himself? Appearance? Could jsut be somethign he startied doing and is now turning into a bad habit.

Anonymous said...

Just passing through and saw this...
My brother had fungus from using weights at the gym.
Dipping his fingers in Tegrin shampoo was what the guys at Gold's Gym told him to do.

Jessica said...

WOW. I just have to pipe in and say that both Jason and Rachel had/have eczema.. Jason has finally grown out of it but Rachel has it 10x more severe than Jason ever had it. In fact when we took her in for an eye infection last week, it was so severe that the doc prescribed her skin cream and oral itch medicine as it was up and down her legs and arms.. completely... and she was scratching constantly.

Truthfully - CJs fingers do not look like eczema to me - but MY own fingers do! Just putting the prescription skin cream on Rachel makes my fingers raw and they look VERY similar to CJs! I just wonder if he has touched something he is ultra sensistive to? It looks to me like he is touching something that is eating away at his skin. Eczema (in my experience) is extremely dry, patchy, red, and itchy blotches of skin up and down the legs, arms and torso.

Just something to think about when you think about the things CJ might be touching (glue, etc.) This "eczema" the doc says CJ has doesn't look at all like what Jason or Rachel's eczema and every doc who has seen either one of them called what they had "eczema" right away. :)

click here:
http://www.elidel.com/info/diagnosing/eczema_pictures.jsp?usertrack.filter_applied=true&NovaId=1178761764237525499