Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Setback with Connor's Allergy Shots

.trooper.

Yeah, this is an old picture, but it is from her first allergy shots, so I thought I would use it again. Last week Connor had a bit of a set back with his allergy shots. As I mentioned before, he started with 2 shots every 30 minutes for 3 rounds. Each week they increase the amount of the venom in the shots, but when they start they really start with hardly nothing.

Well, we made it past all of the 6 shot weeks, and where down to 4 shots. He did great the week before last. Just a lot of itching on his arms for a couple of days and a bit of redness, but overall it was fine.

Then last week he had a reaction to the first set of shots and the nurse had to call Dr. Kabisica in to take a look at him. Really it was just really red, hot, swollen, and itchy, but it was enough of a reaction for them not to administer the second set of shots.

So now we take a step back, because he had 3 more weeks of 4 shots per week before we went down to 2 and now they are going to do the 2 shots a week. So what would have taken 3 weeks will now take 6. We hope. We will see what happens on Thursday.

A lot of the venom allergies are cumulative, even over long periods of time. Once they hit that magical threshold the kids react. I guess even in the super low doses, Connor hit that threshold last week.

Keep your fingers crossed that nothing happens this week. If it does, I guess I am in the right place.

No comments: