Tuesday, April 22, 2008

.mothering a "spirited" child.

This book was recommended to me by our pediatrician a couple of times and I just couldn't get myself to pick up a copy. Why? I still have to laugh at the whole 2008 psychologically friendly way of calling kids that have behavioral issues "spirited". Those who know me know that I am always one to call a spade a spade.

Connor in my opinion is not "spirited", he has behavioral issues. Simple as that. Connor has been challenging since the second he came out of me...crooked...the hardest way possible. Just because he has behavioral issues doesn't mean I don't love him to death, and in my honest opinion calling a child with behavioral issues "spirited" is just a way for parents to fell better about themselves and what they are or are not doing with their child's behavioral issues. Right? I mean come on.

After a call yesterday from Connor's pre-k teacher; I decided it was time to pick up a copy and read it. I won't get far if it is full of physiological babble, but I am willing to try anything to help Connor deal with his behavioral issues both here and at school.

I guess Connor is officially checked out for the year. He decided to be disruptive at circle time yesterday and when the assistant teacher tried to deal with him he was disrespectful to her. Nothing upsets me more then the boys being disrespectful to other adults. Anyway, his teacher and I discussed him for about 30 minutes and together we came up with a plan of constant communication between her, Connor, and I regarding how he is behaving in class.

Honestly, I think he is bored. He goes to two preschools. He has two different circle times 2 times a day. He is sick of counting and doing the days of the week, the weather, and everything else. I mean singing a song about if it is sunny, cloudy, or raining out 2 times a day has to get old at some point. But....that doesn't mean he should be disruptive or disrespectful. It is just not acceptable.

So I will keep you posted on our progress, but keep your fingers crossed that things get better for him.

I swear, being a mother is one of the hardest jobs and at times the most rewarding. Calls from the school are so hard. I know it won't be the last one, and with each one you learn to take it less and less personally....but they are our kids. Extensions of us. I don't care what the physiological babble in any of the books say....Connors behavioral issues are a direct refection of what Chris and I are doing wrong with Connor. He deserves better from us.

Anyway, I hope this book offers some real life guidance to the issues on hand, or maybe the Starbucks will help some too!

No comments: